My family background is activism. I am the fifth generation working for Black liberation. My great-great-grandfather Free Frank McWorter purchased 16 family members out of slavery and turned his farm into a station on the Underground Railroad. For details see this book by my cousin, or the local history group, the family, the University of Illinois, and the University of Maryland.
My past practice includes the full spectrum from Civil Rights to Black liberation to the anti-capitalist struggle. One focus of my work has been Malcolm X. My current focus is on a campaign to rebuild the Black liberation movement as part of the Black Left Unity Committee. In this context I co-authored and edited the following: Draft Freedom Manifesto, Towards Black Liberation, Three Waves, and a weekly Bulletin.
All my work is part of a collective process, sometimes but not always acknowledged in a shared byline. To all my partners, thank you.
Send email to be notified of new topics and content.
Selected activist writings
- Gerald McWorter. 1968 (March). A choice of forms: The nature and needs of the Black university. Negro Digest Vol. 42 No. 5: 4-13. pdf
- Abdul Alkalimat. The significance of the February 1st Movement: Black students and the united front against imperialism. Keynote talk at the First Organizational Conference of the February First Movement. December 27, 1974. Princeton, NJ. pdf
- Abdul Alkalimat. 1981. Building Unity for the Revolution: Theme for Black Liberation Month 1981. Peoples College, Chicago. pdf
- Abdul Alkalimat. 1993. Conference program, Detroit Remembers Malcolm X on the 25th anniversary of the League of Revolutionary Black Workers Conference, Wayne State University, Detroit, July 23-25, 1993. Organized by the National Organizing Committee, Chicago, with five sponsoring organizations. pdf
- Abdul Alkalimat, ed. 2004. Cyberorganizing. A compilation of ten articles by Abdul Alkalimat and Kate Williams. For the Murchison Community Center. 2004. Africana Studies Program, University of Toledo. pdf
- Saladin Muhammad and Abdul Alkalimat, eds. 2015 (February). Towards Black liberation: Dispatches from the Black Left Unity Network (BLUN). pdf